Sunday, August 23, 2009

Little House On The Prairie

When I was a kid I was a Little House On The Prairie freak. I lived, breathed, ate, and slept all things Little House. For those of you who don't remember or those who have chosen to forget, Little House On The Prairie was a long running television drama based upon the "Little House" book series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. The books and television series follow the lives of the simple farming Ingalls family during the late 1800's.

Who would have thought that a television series about the difficulties of those who lived a "prairie" life would have a successful run of nine years; from 1974-1983 in which the Ingalls family faced the challenges of Indians, weather, loneliness, and Nellie Olson. Other than Laura, Nellie was my favorite character, I could not get enough of the girl fights between Laura and Nellie. Click here to see the best ever! Every week, I watched the show faithfully and wondered what trouble Half Pint would find herself in after she kicked Nellie's spoiled ass, but I digress, let me get back to how I lived breathed, slept and ate nothing but Little House. This is how bad it was:


1. I had a Little House lunch box, but didn't use it, (more on that later)

2. I had a Little House sleeping bag that I slept in every night, and did so on the floor in order to get in touch with my concept of what a hard prairie life was like.

3. I refused to answer to any name but Laura for about six months....I drove my mother crazy with this one. My first grade teacher actually thought I had a mental disorder.

4. As a follow up to #3, I addressed and refereed to my sister Debbie as Nellie. Oh, did she love this when I was in my "prairie" mood and did this when her jr-high school friends were around. I got my ass kicked a lot for this one.

5. I would only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with a red, it had to be red apple, and a carton of milk for lunch when I went to school. Why? I don't know other than this is what I thought a "prairie" lunch consisted of.

The worst and what I mean as the most embarrassing thing I did in order to show my devotion to my favorite television show was......I wore my hair in braids all the time, I never took my braids out, and I wore a yellow flowered bonnet to school, and I carried my lunch not in my Little House lunch box, but noooooo I carried my lunch in a metal bucket just like Laura and Mary did. Oh, and to really embarrass my sister "Nellie" I used to don the bonnet and skip behind her and her friends when she was trying to be all cool and the leader of the pack while we all walked home from school.
I was a real piece of work as a kid; kind of funny too.
Check out the following clips of Little House moments and a tribute to Laura Ingaless Laugh Lines, Outtakes, A Tribute to Laura Ingalls Wilder, Real People Of Laura' s Time, Nellie being the bitch that she is

I loved Little House and still love it! I have seen every episode and I have read every one of the books in the series, and to this day when I am channel surfing and come across an episode, I stop, make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, don my bonnet, and enjoy the show.

9 comments:

  1. OMG this post was a riot. I remember the show well and could imagine exactly what you looked like.

    This made me laugh harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read an article about her. I still like to watch Little House too. I would love to go and see her house, I hear Manlee custom built the cupboards for her, because she was like 4 ft 9 in tall. How neat to find someone else that loved the show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, how FUNNY!

    What a wonderful trip down memory lane!!!

    I didn't realize it was on for NINE years...WOW!

    It was such a sweet and poignant show.

    Thanks for the great memories, FB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Miss, Glad to pass a giggle to you. I was quite a picture of funny with my bonnet and braids....My sister thinks I was dropped on my head.

    Wunderwoman...Let's start a fan club! Little House and The Waltons....mmmmmm good television.

    Ron, Yes it was on for nine years! A true classic. I don't know what it is about this show, but whenever it is on...I feel all warm inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I'm japanese woman living in Japan. I also was a Little House On The Prairie freak. This TV series was one of popular TV show in japan.
    I remember my childhood believed I can go to the town of walnut grove if I go over the mountain near my house. I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yayoi, Thanks for stopping by my blog...and I am glad you like it. Little House was wonderful, and I understand the kid in you who thought that by going over a mountain one could end up in another world. I love the mind of a child.

    Please visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know that Melissa Gilbert is playing "Ma" in Little House on the Prairie the Musical!?! I am a fellow Little House fan, and I am very excited to see it when it comes to Tempe, Arizona Dec. 8-13.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you on this one... I love this show... I am trying to find and download all the episodes from day one to the end...
    I loved Laura, Pa and Ma... I used to imagine that Pa and Ma Ingalls were my "ma and Pa"... and I was in my twenties at the time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That story was great! You could and should write a book about it. I'd buy it. A fellow prairie fan.

    ReplyDelete